Mitchelton-SCOTT will again contest the 2020 Santos Tour Down Under with South African Daryl Impey in the lead, aiming for his third-straight general classification victory at the event.
The team has today confirmed that Impey will line up for the Australian team in January, commencing with the Schwalbe Classic, a prelude to the men’s race on Sunday 19 January 2020.
Mike Turtur, Race Director, Santos Tour Down Under said it is exciting for the race to have Daryl defending his back-to-back titles, offering motivation for the peloton to break his history-making run.
“After winning the GC title in 2018 and 2019, Daryl will be sure to have a huge target on his back. The 2020 Santos Tour Down Under will no doubt be a big challenge for him aiming for three in a row, but Daryl was the first rider in event history to win the race two years running and I am sure he’ll be up for the fight,” said Turtur.
Impey said he believes that defending a title is hard, but it will all come down to who has the best legs in January.
“I think my chances are as good as all the other favourites and it’s about making certain stages count to put myself in a position to win it. All I can do is work as hard, if not harder, than previous years…earlier this year I went in giving my best and the same will happen next year too,” he said.
Mitchelton-SCOTT will confirm their full line-up closer to the event.
Teams and Riders Confirmed So Far:
UniSA-Australia (men’s) have confirmed their full line up
UniSA-Australia (women’s) have confirmed their full line up
Trek-Segafredo (men’s) have confirmed Richie Porte and Mads Pedersen
Santos Tour Down Under
From humble beginnings in 1999, the Santos Tour Down Under has grown to be one of Australia’s premier sporting events, taking the fastest men and women in the world through some of the most iconic regions of SA. It is more than just a bike race, it is a festival of cycling, with a range of associated events and participation rides that create a massive party atmosphere. www.tourdownunder.com.au