KYLIE MINOGUE EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
ALSO STARRING: ILLY, G FLIP, WASHINGTON, HOCKEY DAD, KIAN + MORE
A TRIBUTE TO THE EASYBEATS
YOTHU YINDI ‘FROM THE VAULT’
WATCH EPISODE FOUR: SUNDAY 9 AUGUST, 5.30PM ON ABC
|Kylie Minogue exclusive interview!Performances include:|
Illy, G Flip, Washington, Hockey Dad, Kian + many more
A tribute to The Easybeats, starring John Paul Young + friends
Yothu Yindi ‘From The Vault’
Special guest co-host: Myf Warhurst
Watch on ABC & iview – airs Sundays 5.30pm + repeat Saturday 12.30pm
If you’re not across new ABC live music show The Sound, you should be’ – Junkee
‘There’s never been a better time to have an Australian artist plugging in and strutting their stuff on television’ – The Age
Delivering the very best new Australian music directly to your home every Sunday, The Sound dials it up yet again this week, with never-seen-before performances and exclusive interviews. Catch Episode Four airing this Sunday 9 August at 5.30pm, repeating Saturday 15 August at 12.30pm on ABC, or watch it on iview.
This week, The Sound is thrilled to announce our exclusive interview with Australia’s global pop princess: Kylie Minogue! With her new single ‘Say Something’ out now and her 15th studio album, DISCO, due for release on 6 November, fans don’t want to miss this week’s show. Kylie sits down with The Sound host Jane Gazzo to reveal all about her latest song, new album, and life in 2020.
Episode Four also stars amazing performances by:
- Multi ARIA Award-winner and genre-defying Illy is a leader in Australia’s music community. The quick spitting MC has multiple Platinum and Gold selling singles to his name, including the 5x Platinum smash ‘Papercuts’. With the promise of his sixth LP coming in 2020, in late July he dropped a brand new single: ‘Loose Ends’ ft. G Flip
- Melbourne’s 3x ARIA nominee and multi-instrumentalist G Flip (aka Georgia Flipo), who’s risen from bedroom producer to sold-out headliner in a few short years. She lays down her latest single and triple j smash, ‘Hyperfine’
- Musician Megan Washington’s raw, jaw-dropping vocals can bring fans to tears. She delivers an epic version of ‘Batflowers’ from Brisbane’s Old Museum, the title track taken from her highly anticipated new album due out 28 August
- Windang, NSW surf rockers Hockey Dad, who exploded onto the scene back in 2013 and immediately became a live force to be reckoned with. New LP Brain Candyis the duo’s third studio record – and it scored triple j’s Feature Album last week
- Entwining hip hop and soul, Kian took out triple j Unearthed crown back in 2018 and is on a firm upward trajectory. His single ‘Waiting’ was the most-played local track on Aussie radio in 2019, while he also earned APRA and ARIA noms for Song of the Year. Now, he’s gearing up to impress with the smooth R&B stylings of ‘Every Hour’
- This week’s ‘Introducing’ artist is Melbourne singer D’Arcy Spiller. Earning vocal comparisons to Florence Welch and Maggie Rogers, D’Arcy performs her new single ‘What In Hell’.
Joining show host Jane Gazzo and music news correspondent Zan Rowe this week is our special guest co-host – beloved radio and television personality and music aficionado Myf Warhurst.
But that’s not all. Scoring 15 Top 40 hits in just six years, 1960’s Australian icons The Easybeats created authentic Brit rock right in the heart of Sydney. This week, we celebrate the influential group with a special Tribute performance starring:
- John Paul Young OAM is undoubtedly one of Australia’s most popular singers, with over four million records sold and countless stage productions to his name, including the acclaimed “The Vanda & Young Songbook”
- Zach Stephenson (Hockey Dad)
- Rising Melbourne artist Shannen James, who drops her debut EP Arrows on 25 September
- Bruny Island, TAS singer Maddy Jane, whose debut LP Not All Bad Or Good was triple j’s Feature Album in May.
As one of Australia’s most groundbreaking and internationally recognised bands, we celebrate Yothu Yindi in this week’s ‘From The Vault’ segment. In 2012, the band – including founder/lead singer Dr M Yunupingu AC and singer/guitarist Dr G Yunupingu – were inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame. Relive their unforgettable performance as Yothu Yindi are joined on stage by Paul Kelly, Peter Garrett, Dan Sultan, Jess Mauboy, andAndrew Farris.
‘I’m really happy to be performing on The Sound. In the tradition of great Australian music shows like Countdown, it’s amazing to have the opportunity to showcase the broad range of talent in the Australian music scene.’ – Illy
‘Back on an ABC pop show! It’s been 37 years since my last appearance on Countdown, it’s an absolute joy to be a part of the ABC’s ongoing commitment to Australian music’. – John Paul Young
‘I supercare about this beautiful opportunity to perform on The Sound. This is a time when art is so important, and I am so excited to give Australia three and a half minutes of dreamy fun.’ – Megan Washington
‘Was super fun to turn our house into a little studio for The Sound. Thanks for having us along.’ – Zach Stephenson, Hockey Dad
‘To play my latest single on The Sound is special for me because there are so many great artists that have been chosen to perform, it feels like I’m a part of a music family. Right now it’s one of the only ways to perform ‘live’ during this pandemic and I’m very thankful for the opportunity.’ – D’Arcy Spiller
EPISODE FOUR: SUNDAY 9 AUGUST, 5.30PM ON ABC
REPEATS SATURDAY 15 AUGUST, 12.30PM ON ABC
Stream on iview
KYLIE MINOGUE EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
JOHN PAUL YOUNG, ZACH STEPHENSON (HOCKEY DAD),
SHANNEN JAMES + MADDY JANE
pay tribute to
‘From The Vault’
YOTHU YINDI WITH SPECIAL GUESTS
JANE GAZZO, ZAN ROWE
and special guest MYF WARHURST