SANFL releases 2020 Statewide Super League Fixtures
The 2020 Statewide Super League fixtures have been released and, in a first for SANFL, three men’s matches will be played as double-headers with AFL fixtures at Adelaide Oval.
The Magpies will face North Adelaide before the AFL match between Port Adelaide and Carlton on Saturday May 2, while the first SANFL Showdown will be held as a precursor to the AFL Showdown between cross-town rivals Adelaide and Port Adelaide on Sunday June 14.
South Adelaide also will play a match against Adelaide’s SANFL team at Adelaide Oval on Saturday July 4 before the Crows versus St Kilda game, with Panthers’ home match ticket holders to be provided entry as per a regular home game at Noarlunga.
“Introducing Statewide Super League matches to be played as double-headers with AFL fixtures provides an exciting opportunity for SANFL players to experience playing on Adelaide Oval ahead of the Finals Series in September,’’ SANFL Head of Football Operations Tom Hurley said.
“It also presents an excellent opportunity to expose the competition to more South Australian football fans.”
Season-ticket holders for the competing SANFL clubs will be granted entry to their team’s Adelaide Oval double-header as per a regular minor round fixture at a suburban venue.
Hurley said capitalising on the likelihood of favourable weather conditions early in the season was a key focus, with six Friday fixtures being played within the opening two rounds.
“We are continuously looking to maximise player experience and fan engagement with the match program,’’ he said.
“With a diverse match-day spread, including a focus on Friday night football, there is a great chance for SANFL supporters to access high-quality state league football across the course of the year.”
Following on from last year’s successful introduction of Men’s and Women’s League double-headers, there will be a further 10 played in 2020 as both competitions cross over in the early part of the season.
SANFL’s rivalry with the WAFL will continue in 2020, with the Croweaters and Sandgropers vying for the Haydn Bunton Junior Cup at Adelaide Oval after the AFL match between Adelaide and Fremantle on Saturday May 9.
“State representative football provides an aspirational opportunity for SANFL players to play football with the best players in the competition,’’ Hurley said.
“Playing at Adelaide Oval is a deserved reward for those who are selected and will be a memorable experience for all involved.”
Statewide Super League football will hit the road again next year, with a contest between Woodville-West Torrens and South Adelaide scheduled for Saturday July 11 in Kadina as part of the 2020 SA Country Football Championships.
All Statewide Super League major round games will be held at Adelaide Oval, with the Grand Final being played on Sunday September 20.
Fixture highlights – SANFL Statewide Super League
- OPENING ROUND – Three Friday night matches to kick off the 2020 Statewide Super League season, including a blockbuster between reigning premier Glenelg and arch-rival Sturt at ACH Group Stadium.
- FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTY – A total of 11 Friday night matches (14 on Fridays which includes Good Friday matches) across the season at venues such as ACH Group Stadium, Hisense Stadium and Coopers Stadium.
- EASTER WEEKEND – Norwood will host fierce rival Port Adelaide on Easter Thursday under lights ahead of three matches on Good Friday, including regular combatants Central District and North Adelaide at X Convenience Oval. Good Friday specialists South Adelaide and Glenelg will go head-to-head at Flinders University Stadium while the Eagles tackle West Adelaide. Sturt will host Adelaide on Easter Saturday.
- ANZAC DAY – 2019 premier Glenelg will have its chance to host last year’s Grand Finalist Port Adelaide at ACH Group Stadium on Saturday April 25. This will be one of three matches on the Saturday afternoon, with West Adelaide tackling Norwood at Hisense Stadium on Anzac Eve.
- STATE GAME – SANFL will host the WAFL at Adelaide Oval on Saturday May 9, after the AFL clash between Adelaide and Fremantle.
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S DOUBLE HEADERS – As many as 10 double-headers across the first five rounds of the Statewide Super League season.
- ADELAIDE OVAL DOUBLE HEADERS – Three games will be played as double-headers for Crows and Power AFL fixtures at Adelaide Oval, including South Adelaide facing off against Adelaide’s SANFL side in Round 13 of the SANFL season.
- REGIONAL MATCH – Woodville-West Torrens will play in the heart of its country zone when it confronts South Adelaide at Kadina Oval as part of the SA Country Championships on Saturday July 11.
- SANFL FINALS – All matches to be played at Adelaide Oval, with the major round kicking off on the AFL-free weekend of August 29/30.
- SANFL GRAND FINAL – To be played at Adelaide Oval on Sunday September 20.
Fixture Highlights – SANFL Statewide Super Women’s League
- ROUND ONE – Exciting Round 1 fixture with reigning premier South Adelaide kicking the season off against the Eagles on Friday February 14. This will be followed by a triple-header of Women’s matches at X Convenience Oval on Saturday February 15.
- TRIPLE-HEADERS – Three Women’s League triple-headers to be played at X Convenience Oval (Round 1), Flinders University Stadium (Round 3) and ACH Group Stadium (Round 10), offering fans the chance to watch six of the eight teams at the same venue in one day.
- MEN’S & WOMEN’S DOUBLE-HEADERS – As many as 10 games to be played as double-headers with the Men’s Statewide Super League.
- FINALS SERIES – Three-week finals series, starting on the weekend of Saturday May 9.
- GRAND FINAL – To be played on the weekend of Saturday May 23.