- This is not your first time to Adelaide. Are you excited to be back performing at the Adelaide Fringe?
The Adelaide Fringe is my favourite arts festival
In the world! I’m delighted to be back. Audiences here love magic and I love the weather. It’s a relaxed city and I enjoy catching up with friends I haven’t seen since last year.
– This year your performing in Studio 7 at The Garden of Unearthly Delights. Being in the heart of the Fringe should be fun. Are you looking forward to performing in this venue?
The Garden of Unearthly Delights is a central hub of the Fringe. It’s bursting with life and people eager to see shows and soak up the Fringe atmosphere. Studio 7 is a beautiful venue and I’m really excited to see how the show can exist in this space.
– You’re back with a new show The Nutshell. How did you come up with your material for this new show?
I actually conceived this show during the Adelaide Fringe last year whilst walking around the botanic gardens. I had an idea for a show about scale, nature and a strange woman I was reading about with an unusual obsession for making miniature things and I twisted it all into a show and then went back to London and had to try to figure out how to build it and achieve it. That’s the problem with magic – you create impossible problems and then you have to solve them.
– What can audiences expect from your show this year?
It’s a show of entirely original material specially conceived for this show, so you won’t see anything like it anywhere else. The show is funny and dark and quite weird. There are moments when I can hear people really gasping with amazement and that’s really nice thing for me. The show follows a number of seemingly disconnected stories and ideas that connect in unexpected ways.
– If there was one sentence you could tell people about your new show what would it be?
This is my favourite show to date – it’s also a perfect show for people who think they don’t like magic….
BEN HART – THE NUTSHELL
FEB 15 – MARCH 17 7PM @ STUDIO 7 – GARDEN OF UNEARTHLY DELIGHTS