South Australia’s most delicious festival – Tasting Australia – is less than a week away and preparation is underway throughout Adelaide and the regions for the upcoming feast.
Kitchens are being stocked and readied, the new-look festival hub – Town Square (in Victoria Square/Tarndanyangga) – is under construction and produce is going through the final stages of ripening and picking before the festival runs Sunday 30 April to Sunday 7 May.
Many events have sold out but there are still tickets available for other fantastic food and beverage experiences, plus a full program of free activities and opportunities to meet and eat with the festival stars for 2017.
Joining the feast in 2017 is culinary icon Marco Pierre White (United Kingdom), the World’s Best Female Chef Ana Ros (Hiša Franko, Slovenia), legendary Riesling winemaker Egon Müller (Germany) and Australia’s culinary elite: Paul Carmichael (Momofuku Seiōbo, Sydney), Lennox Hastie (Firedoor, Sydney), Clayton Wells (Automata, Sydney), Victor Liong (Lee Ho Fook, Melbourne), Analiese Gregory (Bar Brose, Sydney) and more.
Anyone who missed out on tickets to the Glasshouse Kitchen collaboration dinners can still experience food from the world’s best including Ana Ros, Paul Carmichael, Mitch Orr (ACME, Sydney) Nic Watt (Madame Hanoi), Sean Connolly (Sean’s Kitchen) and others at Chef’s Supper Club presented by I Choose SA.
Twenty chefs, 20 South Australian flavoured snacks, seven matched wines and one unforgettable evening.
For beverage aficionados, Tasting Australia’s cup is full to the brim with exciting experiences. From tasting six vintages of Penfolds St Henri shiraz or sampling the world’s best bubbles with East End Cellars Masterclasses, to a free tasting at the Town Square bar and meeting a winemaker fresh out of vintage from South Australia’s regions – the festival has it all.
Other exciting events still available for purchase include:
- Great Wine Voyage: A city bar hop offering blind tastings from Great Wine Capitals of the world including Adelaide/South Australia (SA). Presented by Primary Industries and Regions SA.
- Chef Quiz: A rollicking Friday night pub-style quiz with general knowledge and culinary rounds; beat the chefs at their own game! Pizza and drinks included.
- Australia’s Got Taste: Learn how to use native ingredients such as wattle seed, lemon myrtle, old man saltbush and more.
- Feasting on Film: An ode to the iconic Babette’s Feast at one the Adelaide Hills most adored properties, Glen Ewin Estate.
- Lunch in the Stables: Wood oven cooking, locally sourced mushrooms, lamb, cheeses, butter, almonds and olives will all be on show at Penny’s Hill Wines.
- Taste Buds kids program: a hands-on workshop for kids to plant fresh ingredients, harvest and make a wood-fired pizza, create art with food or make a simple recipe while learning about nutrition.
The FREE festival hub of Town Square has casual lunch and dinner covered at Charred, the street food-style stalls that use fire as their only cooking method. There will be gourmet grilled cheese toasties, flame-grilled lamb, slow roasted meats and vegetables, charred corn, Asian-style wok dishes, Bombe Alaska and more. Meals priced around $15-$20. Town Square will be open for lunch and/or dinner as follows:
FREE events during the week include:
- Magic on the Murray: tastings of the Riverland’s biodynamic wines from Whistling Kite, live music, and platters of regional produce set on the banks of the Murray.
- Taste Glynde & Co: a market-style event with artisan products, cooking demonstrations, and a celebration of the rich food culture of Glynde.
- Fleurieu Olive Harvest Open Day: olive picking, pressing demonstrations, hay-bale rides for children and local fare available to sample and purchase.
- Chef’s Journey: hear from festival stars including Lennox Hastie, Duncan Welgemoed (Africola), Analiese Gregory and Alex Herbert (ex Bird Cow Fish, Sydney) about their passions, challenges and motivations.
- Makers at the Market demonstrations: learn from Clayton Wells, Thi Le (Anchovy, Melbourne), Poh Ling Yeow (JamFace) in the vivid Adelaide Central Market.
Browse through the program, book tickets and secure a seat at the table during Tasting Australia. tastingaustralia.com.au