The Autumn/Winter Crunch Club
words by Kathryn Robertson
If you’re like me, you like to end your working week with a nice glass of wine and a bite to eat. I think I’ve found the perfect Friday night wind down spot! “Crunch Club” at Jam face in the Central Markets.
Run by power duo Poh Ling Yeow (Master Chef Fame), and her partner Jonathan Bennett, this has quickly become a Friday night must do.
Eventalaide recently attended WOMADelaide’s Taste the World Restaurant where Poh was this year’s chef in residence, so we thought we would come and check out her hugely popular Crunch Club and see what all the fuss is about.
Now let me warn you up front. This is an all-night affair, most definitely not eat and run. Poh and her team serve up an exciting 6 course set menu, served from 6pm till late, a feast sure to set your taste buds abuzz.
I love everything about Jamface, the quirky little touches to the comfy country home feel. Then there is of course the buzz of the markets. You can’t help but get caught up in the excitement and feel good vibes of this place. It helps too that their staff are so friendly and informative, they really know their menu inside & out.
Now for the 6 course menu, which started off with…
- French farmhouse pork pate – now I’m not usually a fan of pates, but I was really pleasantly surprised with this offering. It was smooth and tasty, not too gamey, and we loved the combination of tangy mustard and tiny gherkins. A perfect starter.
- Eggs Merrette (poached egg in red wine sauce & garlic crouton) – This was a standout dish for me, so simple yet such an explosion of taste and bold textures. The poached egg melts in your mouth and the gravy soup of mushroom and red wine is divine. I’m not a big fan of mushrooms but this dish was amazing.
- Salmon carpaccio with nashi pear, orange & ginger dressing – for all you sea food fans out there, you will love this. The salmon with nashi pear are a delight together. Such a fresh and tasty dish, the orange & ginger dressing is superb, trust me you’ll be wanting more.
- Thai sweet salty Pork with sago dumplings – Boston Bay Free Range Sweet Salty Pork, cubed sago dumplings in a gem lettuce cup, fresh coriander and chilli. Just amazing. A very different and clever interpretation of dumplings, which was full-flavoured and spicy. I loved the sago dumpling on the side.
- 5 hour Vietnamese beef pho with enoki, herbs, lime and shredded beef – Pho is currently the flavour of the moment, and I have to say Poh’s Pho is up there with the best. It’s seriously moorish and the shredded beef is so good. All I needed is a bigger bowl.
- Marshmallow Pavlova with raspberries, marscapone, yoghurt, balsamic caramel and almonds & basil – Wow this is good, your taste buds will go into sensory overload with the mix of flavours and sweetness. This is a winner of a desert dish.
All in all, this was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Top notch food, amazing service and great wine. We enjoyed a bottle of the Tom Shobbrook (Basket Range) Didi Riesling, which was the perfect match for the banquet.
Make sure you head down to Crunch Club sometime soon. Bookings are essential if you don’t want to miss out. Highly recommended.
Crunch Club can be found at Jamface – Stall 28-29 in the Central Markets and can text for bookings on :- 0420394483